This is only my third In Defense Of post, so I haven’t fully developed my method of argument. But wait. I don’t really have a method for anything on this site. Moving on…
This time I want to come to Ashton Kutcher’s defense. Is he in need of arguments for him? Are you really asking that?
REASONS WHY PEOPLE
HATE DON’T LIKE HIM
- Punk’d. He introduced not only this show, but this word, into the lexicon. Kiss “Smile! You’re on Candid Camera!” goodbye forever.
- He made shitty movies. Where to begin. Um, Just Married, My Boss’s Daughter, Guess Who, A Lot Like Love, The Guardian, What Happens in Vegas, Spread, Valentine’s Day, and Killers.
- He’s replacing Charlie Sheen on “Two and a Half Men”. It’s not so much that he’s replacing Charlie Sheen… it’s that he’s helping Two and a Half Men stay on the air!
REASONS WHY I’M DEFENDING HIM
- He was great as Kelso on “That 70’s Show”. In character, he once deadpanned this line to Jackie (Mila Kunis), in regard to jellybeans: “I ate all the white ones ’cause I know you don’t like things that taste white!” Classic.
- He made some enjoyable movies. Love ’em or leave ’em, I really liked Dude, Where’s My Car! and the director’s cut of The Butterfly Effect. Dude, he strangled himself with an umbilical cord in the womb!
- He’s produced some enjoyable TV. I wish I would have watched more of Beauty and the Geek, I’m sad there weren’t more episodes of Miss Guided, and I hope there’s another season of True Beauty.
- He’s married to Demi Moore. Sure, she doesn’t look like (click here) anymore, but still…
- This guy doesn’t seem to mind him, and that’s all right by me:
So in closing, that’s five good reasons to defend him, over three reasons to hate on him. As one of the original Two Men once said over and over and over again, “Winning!”