Awesome Battle… It’s Fright Night Fight Night!
Who doesn’t love the classics?
Who doesn’t love remakes?
Well, typically I never look forward to remakes, but their have been some decent ones through the years. One of my personal favorites is Zack Snyder’s Dawn of the Dead. He did all right by George Romero’s original, which is probably his best zombie film to date. I’m not saying would actually date it… but I’d probably fool around.
Anyreboot, Fright Night is an 80’s classic you may or may not be familiar with, so here’s its preview:
I’ve always had a soft spot for the film, and here are the reasons why:
- It’s cheesy good. For comparison, what’s cheesy bad? Actually, I think anything cheesy is good because it’s cheesy, especially if it was made in the 80’s.
- It’s self-aware. It knows that it’s a send up of schlocky horror films, hence RoddyMcDowall’s character…
- …Peter Vincent: Vampire Hunter. Think Vincent Price in the style of local horror film TV hosts.
- Writer/Director Tom Holland. He elevates the Rear Window rip-off into celebratory genre-crossing territory, like Shaun of the Dead would do about two decades later. Plus, he also wrote Cloak & Dagger – one of my all time faves.
- Marcy D’Arcy, Herman’s Head, and Jack Skellington. Well, the Actors! that would go onto play those roles round out the cast.
So you would think the thought of a remake would set me off on a rampage, and it might have had I heard of it before seeing this preview:
Okay, the CGI bothers me, but the cast is actually pretty good:
- Colin Ferrell – you know who he is
- Anton Yelchin – Chekov in the new Star Trek; Kyle Reese in Terminator Salvation; Charlie Bartlett
- Toni Collette – the mom in Sixth Sense, About a Boy, and Little Miss Sunshine; United States of Tara
- Christopher Mintz-Plasse – McLovin in Superbad; Red Mist in Kick-Ass
- David Tennant – Dr. Who; somebody in one of the Harry Potter films