Well, actually yesterday was the 18th birthday of the song Voices That Care, and it is quite the time capsule. Made originally to raise money for the Red Cross during Operation Desert Storm, it has now, well, let’s reflect on the highlights:
- Gotta love the flag opening. Reminds me of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crap. Unfortunately.
- Celine Dion was just a baby. I wonder if her creepy-old-manager/husband-to-be was tapping that yet. (Also, she has kind of that Amy Grant vibe going. Much better than the future Vegas chest thumping.)
- Peter Cetera! Why isn’t he making music anymore? Am I the only one that wonders where he went? (Maybe he’s hanging out with Steve Perry.)
- See Bobby Brown. See Bobby Brown sing. See Bobby Brown not get high and smack a ho.
- Is that dude in the cowboy hat from Warrant? Yes. Yes, he is.
- Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson’s singing voices mesh perfectly with Luther Vandross. (Actually, all the sports stars have wonderful pipes.)
- Who’s singing with Garth Brooks – Amy Grant or Celine Dion? Was hair really that big back then?
- BONUS: More Warrant! Nope. It’s just Nelson. Why is everyone wearing cowboy hats, yet Garth Brooks did not (a true rarity)?
- Michael Bolton was pretty good in Office Space, doncha think?
- Will Smith even got to rap. That tickles my soul. Isn’t it weird he got his start “rapping,” but now it seems weird to see him rap?
- One good thing about the arrival of CGI – no more neon coloring on B&W footage (hopefully).
- The Chorus. You gotta love the Chorus. I can’t even begin to dive into the Chorus. All I have to say is this: Michelle Pfeiffer AND Jon Lovitz. No? Fred Savage AND Meryl Streep? Not enough? Gary Busey AND Chevy Chase? Yes. That awesome.
- Wait was Mike Tyson’s arm around Debbie Gibson? (She was my first concert – at the Sea World in Orlando.)
In my research, I stumbled on this must-see Where Are They Now video. Check it out.