I pretty much ignored Ryan Reynolds’ Buried when it came out in the theaters, and I pretty much ignored its arrival on DVD. What I have been unable to ignore is the constant bombardment of James Franco’s 127 Hours, which is now in wide-release courtesy of its Academy Award nominations.
This further reminded me of two things.
- How the screenwriter of Buried, Chris Sparling, basically begged to be nominated for an Oscar.
- How 127 Hours is basically the same thing, and it is nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.
But wait… isn’t one about a guy in a coffin and the other one about a guy cutting his arm off?
Yes, but they are both essentially “unfilmable” stories about a man trapped. And they aren’t the only ones. Here are A Handful Of Trapped People Flicks.
- Rope (1948) – people trapped in real-time murder plot
- Die Hard (1988) – man trapped in terrorist-filled building
- Die Hard 2: Die Harder (1990) – man trapped in terrorist-filled airport
- Under Siege (1992) – man trapped on terrorist-filled battleship
- Toy Soldiers (1991) – student trapped in terrorist-filled school
- Passenger 57 (1992) – man trapped on terrorist-filled airplane
- Speed (1994) – people trapped on speeding bus
- Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (1995) – man trapped on speeding terrorist-filled train
- Executive Decision (1996) – man trapped on terrorist-filled airplane
- Daylight (1996) – people trapped in underground tunnel
- Air Force One (1997) – man trapped on president’s terrorist-filled airplane
- Con Air (1997) – man trapped on criminal-filled airplane
- Speed 2: Cruise Control (1997) – people trapped on speeding terrorist-filled cruise ship
- Cast Away (2000) – man trapped on island
- Phone Booth (2002) – man trapped in phone booth (written by Larry Cohen)
- Open Water (2004) – people trapped in shark-infested waters
- Cellular (2004) – man trapped in terrible plot involving keeping a cell phone powered (written by Larry Cohen)
- Penny Dreadful (2006) – woman trapped in a car
- Captivity (2007) – woman trapped in underground lair (also written by Larry Cohen)
- Frozen (2010) – people trapped on a ski lift
- Buried (2010) – man trapped in coffin
- 127 Hours (2010) – man trapped underground by a rock
- Unstoppable (2010) – men trapped on a missile the size of the Chrysler Building