A recent discussion at the bar prompted an exchange about what song can get a random alcoholic’s head bopping (and sometimes, toe tapping). I proposed this ditty (not to be confused with Diddy, who as yet, has not sampled this song):
Another person at the bar whole-heartedly disagreed and brought up this tune as the great anthem:
RUFKM? I barely remembered that song (although one can never forget David Hasselhoffmeister). I argued it couldn’t qualify as a head bopping, toe tapper. He had to remind me of this:
(Continued after the jump)
Speaking to German magazine TV Spielfilm, Hasselhoff said in 1989, the year the wall fell, he had helped reunite the country by singing his song ‘Looking for Freedom’ among millions of German fans at the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.
He said he felt he had moved people on both sides of the wall, although he admitted hardly any of the East Germans could speak English. He said: “I find it a bit sad that there is no photo of me hanging on the walls in the Berlin Museum at Check-Point Charlie.
“After my appearance I hacked away at pieces of the wall that had the black, red and yellow colours of the German flag on it. I kept the big piece for myself and gave the smaller pieces to colleagues at Baywatch.” (from Ananova)
Well, I guess that makes it acceptible. And since the actor-cum-president (get your minds out of the gutter… and if I put them there, still get ’em out!), Ronald Reagan, helped bring about the end of the Soviet Union, I wondered what other actors might have in store for our futures. (SIDENOTE: In 1987, Reagan challenged Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall. Good thing the Hoff was there to finish it two years later!)
Here’s my list of celebrities that possess the same level of stature as the Gipper and Michael Knight. Click each name for a sample of what they have to offer, and what I think/hope/dream each one of them can fix in this crumbling world:
- Arnold Schwarzenegger (actor-cum-governor) will bring peace in the Middle East.
- Clint Eastwood (actor-cum-mayor) will end gambling addiction in America.
- Jesse Ventura (wrestler-cum-actor-cum-governor… now it’s okay to put your mind in the gutter) will put an end to homophobia forever.
- Keanu Reeves (cheesy actor/cheesy musician) will unite the world in love.
- Kevin Costner (cheesy actor/ cheesy musician) will make recycling second nature for all.
- Russell Crowe (great actor/ cheesy musician) will kick the ass of anyone who doesn’t agree with all of the above.