This shit is bananas! B-A-N-A-N-A-S! Or at least it’s P-L-A-N-T-A-I-N-S!
From my understanding (which translates to “I just learned this”), Lady Antebellum has been a part of the music scene since 2007, but I’ve only recently heard about the group courtesy of their simple and catchy crossover hit, Need You Now. The group is composed of Charles Kelley, Dave Haywood, and Hillary Scott (pictured above), which makes the trio’s name no less strange. It’s two guys and one lady. And antebellum means pre-war so no further help there.
Like Lady Sovereign before them and Lady Gaga after them, perhaps their moniker was inspired by…
- Lady BIRD Johnson – former First Lady and husband to President LBJ (not to be confused with the president of LJN)
- “Lady CHATTERLY’s Lover” – well, not her lover, per sé… the title character of the book/film
- Lady DEATHSTRIKE – sworn enemy of Wolverine… not the animal… the X-Man
- “The Lady EVE” – referred to as a screwball comedy in 1941, and as corny now
- Lady FOOT Locker or ladyfingers – so either a shoe store or cookies
- Lady GODIVA – a naked lady that rode on a horse to open a candy store, or something
- “LadyHAWKE” – an awesome movie starring Matthew Broderick… or was it Ethan Hawke?
- “Lady IN Red“ or “Lady IN the Water” – one of these is intolerable… I’ll let you decide
- Lady JANE (salon, song, or flick) or Lady JAYE – my favorite is the G.I. Joe character, ‘natch
- “LadyKILLERS” – is it a Tom Hanks flop, a Coen Brothers flop, or a Marlon Wayans success?
- Lady LIBERTY, Lady LUCK, or Lady LAZARUS – an iconic symbol, a loser’s lover, and a Sylvia Plath poem… good times, good times…
- Lady MARMALADE, Lady Macbeth, or Lady MADONNA – two tunes and a Shakespearean loon
- Lady NINJA Kasumi – she’s referred to as a skanky ninja, just as expected in Japan
- OUR Lady Peace – one of my favorite Canadian bands
- Lady PINK – a renowned graffiti artist… and here I thought they weren’t supposed to be renowned
- “Lady Q” – a book about a former gang member
- Lady RIZO and the Assettes – a merry band of burlesque performers
- Lady SAW or Lady STARLIGHT – a reggae singer and Lady Gaga’s mentor
- Lady TIGRA – remember the Miami Bass hip-hop duo, L’Trimm? Well she was in it…
- Lady URSULA Misseldon – apparently, she’s a character on The Tudors
- Lady VOLUNTEERS or “Sympathy for Lady VENGEANCE” – one’s a college basketball team from Tennessee and the other is a South Korean film… the ball’s in your court to decide which is which…
- Lady WINDERMERE Syndrome – it’s a lung infection named after Lady Windermere’s Fan, by Oscar Wilde… sure, I could have referenced the play, but the ailment is funnier
- Lady XOC or Lady XIN – a Mayan queen and a smart Chinese woman (insert sexist joke here)
- Lady YANG – she was a Chinese consort, princess, and Taoist nun… in other words, she stayed busy…
- Lady ZEP, Lady ZEPHRIS. or Lady ZELDA – this is my favorite group… one’s a Led Zeppelin cover band, one’s a creature from World of Warcraft, and one’s a charter yacht… I couldn’t have made any one of those up
BONUS MUSICAL MUSING: I’ve intended to gripe about this for a while now, but I kept forgetting to. It’s more shit that is plantains, and I didn’t hear any mention of it anywhere else. Why was Katy Perry’s I Kissed a Girl (I’m not linking the video for spite) such a huge deal when Jill Sobule sang about the same thing back in 1995, when it was still sort of taboo? Nowadays, it’s kind of slutty.
SIDENOTE: I’m not saying I want it to stop.
BONUS NON-MUSICAL MUSING: Cougars grow up to become cat women.
You left out Our Lady J!!!
Holy S$%# do you do your homework when you post. I mean really, wow!
Our Lady J and I have beef.
(Coincidentally, that was our group’s name, “Our Lady J and I”)