One day at lunch, a discussion occurred that revolved around how Saturday Night Live characters had their own movies, but In Living Color did not. We threw around Actor! names and characters, and it was decided that Damon Wayans’ Homey D. Clown might have the best shot at a movie.
But I disagreed.
Clown movies have never done well at the box office (by my summation). Here are the ones I could think of…
1) Vulgar the Clown – Vulgar
- This early production by Kevin Smith covered a lot of dark themes, such as clown stripping, clown rape, clown vengeance, and attempted clown murder. Well, I don’t know if those are themes for sure, but they’re indeed dark.
- Actor! Bobcat Goldthwait wrote, directed, and starred in this film about an alcoholic clown. He eventually would follow this one up with a film about a woman that had sex with her dog. Moving on…
3) Escaped mental patient – Clownhouse
- Director Victor Salva went to prison for molesting his child star in this film. I mean, he didn’t do it in this film. It happened behind the scenes. But not necessarily on the sets. Once again, moving on…
4) Killer Klowns from Outer Space
- Of the first four films on this list, there’s a good chance this is the only movie you’ve seen or at least know exists. That still doesn’t make it a success. Everybody’s heard of Sarah Palin, too. (BONUS PARTISAN POLITICAL BURN!)
5) Drunk birthday party clown – Uncle Buck
- Now we’re getting into some well-known movies. This John Candy classic is on the list mainly because it possibly inspired Bobcat’s Shakes (as well as giant pancakes… why am I so hungry all of a sudden).
6) The Violator a.k.a. Clown – Spawn
- This comic book character brought to life on celluloid isn’t as scary as he is gross. Speaking of gross, remember how gross the CGI was in this film? Relive the horror here.
7) Pennywise the Dancing Clown – IT
- This televised miniseries based on Stephen King’s book is well-known for being the source of many twenty-somethings fear of clowns. Also, did you know that in the book, well, I’ll let the very cool TVtropes fill you in:
Beverly Marsh has sex with the other members of the Losers Club (all six of them, one after the other, in a sewer) in order to re-forge the connection between them after defeating IT as pre-teens. It’s supposed to be a metaphor for moving from childhood to adulthood, but triggered many readers’ Squick.
8) Clown doll – Poltergeist
- Because of the curse on this film… I’m gonna leave it alone.
9) Lou Craddock & crew – A Boy and His Dog
- Okay. Even though the people who lived in underground Topeka were painted more like mimes than clowns, it was still weird.
10) Captain Spaulding – House of 1000 Corpses & The Devil’s Rejects
- With or without makeup, the leader of his so-called family sure can give Leatherface’s brood a run for the money. And leave me running for the hills have eyes.
11) Clowning around, though not quite clowns – The Joker, Jigsaw, & Beetlejuice
These guys are arguable as clowns. Why? Well Jigsaw’s a marionette, Beetlejuice is the self-proclaimed “ghost with the most,” and The Joker… well… yeah, he’s a clown.
BONUS HUMOROUS FRIGHT:
Wrong. Just plain wrong.
Did I miss any?
Let’s not forget “Killer Klowns from Outer Space”. I actually own that movie. Scared the shit out of me as a kid. “It” kinda topped it off and gave me full-fledged clown fear.
Sorry, didn’t see it. Ignore previous comment.
Too late. Smelt, and dealt.