I don’t know what made me think of this list. And I promise you, it will not be anywhere near as insightful as this article.
In fact, I won’t even cover one of those on that list… which shortens my considerably (really, all I would have included were John Lennon/Paul McCartney tracks, and maybe a Foo Fighters tune).
So without further adieu, here are some Strange Songs About Other Singers.
- SONG: Alannah Myles’ Black Velvet
- ABOUT: Elvis Presley
- WHY IT’S STRANGE: Is she really singing about a painting?
- SONG: For Squirrel’s Mighty K.C.
- ABOUT: Kurt Cobain
- WHY IT’S STRANGE: It’s not a particularly good song, for one. For two, this group faced a tragedy not long after this song was released – an automobile accident claimed the lives of two band members.
- SONG: The Commodores’ Nightshift
- ABOUT: Jackie Wilson & Marvin Gaye
- WHY IT’S STRANGE: It’s really not strange. But it’s strange amidst this list.
- SONG: ABC’S When Smokey Sings
- ABOUT: Smokey Robinson
- WHY IT’S STRANGE: It’s a weird new wave song about an artist who was still on the charts! (Smokey had a concurrent hit with One Heartbeat.)
- SONG: Ron Artest’s Michael Jackson Tribute
- ABOUT: Michael Jackson
- WHY IT’S STRANGE: He’s a basketball player! And he chose his jersey number based on the amount of weeks Thriller was number one! (FYI, it’s 37… in a row!)