Skip to content

Musical Musings… Come On, Get Higher, Dude

September 26, 2011

A little pretentious, but sufferable.

That guy is singer/songwriter Matt Nathanson.  You may know him from his first overplayed song, Come On Get Higher.  Or you might know him for his latest-to-be-overplayed song, Your Body is a Wonderland II Faster:

Notice anything different?

Oh shut up.

Really, dude?  You’re already married.  You don’t need to try that hard.

He doesn’t listen.

On top of that, have you really paid attention to Faster’s lyrics?  This part’s a tad risqué:

You’re so delicious
You’re so soft
Sweet on the tip of my tongue
You taste like sunlight
And strawberry bubble gum

But it really creeps into lame-o territory, right John Mayer?

One mile to every inch of
Your skin like porcelain
One pair of candy lips and
Your bubblegum tongue
(Lyrics from Your Body is a Wonderland)

But Faster can’t get any worse, can it?

It’s the way you swell, slow
Pushing right out your seams
It’s the way you smile, baby
When you’ve got me on my knees

It can.  And that lyric will forever make me think about his wife Bridget’s vagina.  Now I just need to see what Bridget looks like

About these ads
22 Comments leave one →
  1. January 13, 2012 1:42 pm

You’re an asshole.

2. January 25, 2012 11:39 pm

I don’t know who you are but i agree with M above… You Are An Asshole! Matt has more talent and a hell of a lot more tact than you could ever have…your probably too busy listening to crappy music to know what good music is. JERK!

3. January 26, 2012 11:46 am

I’m not knocking all his music… just this song about him eating out some girl. That’s what he’s singing about. And it’s catchy, so I’ll give him that. But be honest – his look is kinda douchey now. You have to give me that.

4. January 26, 2012 9:02 pm

CC Well I have NEVER heard a song of his I don’t love. Catchy, sexy, and I have to say very far from looking douchey…no idea how you get that word to describe him. What annoys the shit out of me about your so called blog is that you had the audacity to even bring his personal life into it and insult his wife. You can have your (very bad) opinions of his music… but leave it to his music and leave personal attacks of his family to yourself. Let me say it again… JERK!

5. MNfan permalink
    March 15, 2012 4:57 pm

You`re an idiot. Like to hear yourself ramble.

6. March 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Apparently no one realizes he went from regular guy to douchebag faster than John Mayer just to sell music. Does he really need that scarf?!

7. MNfan permalink
    March 19, 2012 6:22 pm

That is YOUR opinion. And who the F* cares whether ANYONE really needs a scarf or not! Sounds like you’re jealous of him. Why else all this attention for someone you don’t like.

8. March 19, 2012 6:35 pm

That’s where you’re all confused. I liked his music until he started wearing leather jackets in the backseats of taxis looking around disinterested in the world.

I saw him at a show with Ingrid Michaelson and he was such a regular guy, Now he’s trying too hard. But since you keep sticking up for him, it must be working.

Too bad he changed.

9. March 25, 2012 8:10 pm

I personally think the scarf would look great over your mouth.

10. April 3, 2012 11:39 pm

Matt Nathanson has more class and talent in his left foot than you will ever have. I’ve seen him twice, once before and once after you think he “sold out”. He was the most incredibly funny, smart and down to earth person I’ve ever seen. I also met him and talked to him…he floored me with how easily he connects with his fans. Know what you’re talking about before you prove just how utterly clueless (and classless) you really are…nevermind, you already proved it.

11. April 4, 2012 11:18 am

You guys win – he’s not a douchebag.

His fans are.

12. Matt's Mom permalink
    April 4, 2012 11:24 am

I find this thread hard to masturbate to.

13. aka114 permalink
    June 6, 2012 4:38 am

LOL!!! I, too, saw him when he was touring w/ Ingrid Michaelson (2008, if memory serves me). He was, as you so eloquently phrased it, “…a regular guy”. However, I must admit that he appears to have lost his way, at least for now. Perhaps he’ll snap out of it, but that seems unlikely given that he’s toured w/ John Mayer (shudder). I’ll further add that you’re right about the scarf & try as I may to think of a description that could do that look justice, I believe your non-word, “douchey”, pretty well says it all. Is he talented? Obviously. Great w/ his fans & audience banter? Again, from personal experience, I can honestly say yes. But he’s no John Prine on either score. In fact, I have an analogy I’d like to share: Matt Nathanson started off somewhat akin to Prine, but seems to have gone the way of Jimmy Buffett. I hate it when that happens to a promising musician. Hopefully, the jury’s still out on Mr. Nathanson. He can snap out of it if he listens to his critics & stops taking himself so damn seriously. Oh, yeah, & he’s gotta ditch the scarf & that pseudo contemplative, far-away gaze. Come to think of it, he needs to bag the hipster wool hat collection, too. None of these things scream sexy, Matt; they just scream, quite shrilly, in fact. They don’t screech quite as harshly as your misguided fans @ this site, but for the love of all that’s decent, get rid of the hats, the scarfs & the affected glances & gazes. I believe you can do this, however, if you must know, my fingers are crossed, but I’m not holding my breath.

14. June 6, 2012 1:28 pm

@aka114… If you are female, marry me. (If you’re male, we’ll move to New York and see where it goes.)

15. Anonymous permalink
    June 21, 2012 10:57 am

i don’t care what he wears, he’s a musician not a fashion icon. I personally love his music and can’t wait for his next album :)

16. Jason permalink
    October 18, 2012 3:51 pm

So I actually went to college with Matt and played guitar with him now and then (just in the dorms not for performance). He was way talented back then. I am glad to see him get the rewards of all these years of hard work and sticking with it. Monkey guy, his wife is the girl he started dating in college his freshman year. For a musician to have found such a wonderful woman so long ago and stuck by her as she stuck by him is quite admirable. And if you knew Bridget, she is no pushover.

17. October 19, 2012 4:18 pm

It’s a rare thing for a celebrity to remain faithful to their pre-fame love, and if that continues to be the case, I hope it lasts a long time for Matt and Bridget. In fact, I hope all his songs are 100% about her.

But (!) I can’t help being the cynic (or realist) that remembers he is a “rock” star, and sluts are like glitter at a strip club. No matter how hard you try to keep the glitter off you, despite your best intentions, it invariably– well, I’m sure you get my point.

I still hope them all the best.

18. Brad Hughes permalink
    November 2, 2012 11:38 am

You sir are a cunt, i hate you with every fiber of my being, you getting cancer and dying a slow deah would delight me, (not really) (ok really)

19. November 2, 2012 4:34 pm

This post still brings out the fervent freaks…

Brad Hughes for Matt Nathanson Fan Club President 2012!

Anyone? Anyone? Maybe my cancer is making it hard for everyone to hear me. Or the fact I’m a giant typing vagina that can’t talk.

20. Chels permalink
    March 18, 2013 4:06 pm

I think it’s interesting that what someone wears and the fact that their lyrics are now more about their wife (who would have ever thought that would happen) mean they have changed are their songs are now somehow less. I completely respect the fact that you have an opinion but, seriously? Every article with him highlights how down to earth he is. He keeps his wife and his marriage WAY out of the limelight and just lets his music speak for him. Faster is catchy, and still full of talent, and takes something SUPER personal and masks it to make it (SEMI) appropriate for even an all-ages show.

I saw him in concert in Tulsa last year and he was anything but a “rockstar”. He was super chill onstage, in love with his music and having a blast with the band. Some people have been a little ridiculous with their response, a little harsh and a bit judgemental…but so was your critique of Matt.

Rough.

21. October 1, 2014 8:15 pm

This paragraph will assist the internet users for building up
    new weblog or even a weblog from start to end.

Trackbacks

1. A Handful Of… Acceptable Songs About God | monkeyBLOGmonkeyDO - Peeling Away @ Pop Culture